Blogging begins with reading and thinking (Thing 4)

I’ve been reading and commenting on some of my colleagues’ blogs, and as well reading the recommended posts. I am already a great fan of social media for extending our circle of interaction, and was interested to see how educators were using these tools.

Bo Adams, in his “It’s About Learning” blog, “Schools promote drivers ed – learning by driving with guidance. Schools should do same with social media“,makes a good case for using social media tools to create more relevance for students. I know that as a learner, I have always enjoyed project-based learning because you seek the information you need in order to be successful. I think that he is correct in that students will respond very positively to the widened opportunity for discussion and for more views and input.

One thing I am thinking about is the interesting connections that are possible when  we expand beyond Web 2.0 and the Internet by adding distance learning and connectivity to the mix. I’d love to work on some sort of cross-curricular project next year that involved using Facebook, blogging, feeds, and some planned video conferences as well.

Sylvia Rosenthal Tolisano writes about “Implementing Blogging in the Classroom“. I like her discussion of the “authentic audience” and finding the “student voices.”

In reading over a variety of blogs, I see that the most effective blog posts are like small essays or articles, most effective when they are well focused on a specific topic and not typically rambling over several topics. For several years I have followed a number of blogs and those that are well done function as full websites with searchability and metadata, well defined categories or indexed items, and a strong point of view by the blogger. It is the strong point of view by the blogger that can make me want to follow the blog regularly.

I have followed a blog by a medical librarian, titledHappy Healthy Long Life: a medical librarian’s adventures in evidence-based living” 

From the Happy Healthy Long Life blog.

From the Happy Healthy Long Life blog.

From the blog: “This blog is my way to just keep track of all the great information that comes my way and to write about what the researchers are really reporting in medical journals, not the spin the public reads in the ‘press releases’.” She is now on Facebook as well. She has developed such a following and reputation that she is quoted in the NY Times and other major news venues.

I have learned a lot about successful blogging from her that I hope will assist me in my blog. But of course, any errors will be mine…

4 thoughts on “Blogging begins with reading and thinking (Thing 4)

1. I was really impressed with the blogging piece of Web20. It was nice to have new information right at the tip of my fingers.
    Reading allowed me to gain through knowledge and applying it daily with those things of interest to me.

It’s nice to have you here and help our students become truly tech literate. I think they short change themselves by just listening to music and texting. There is so much information out there waiting for them to explore.

2. Love the “Happy Healthy Long Life: a medical librarian’s adventures in evidence-based living” blog. While reading your blog, I clicked on the link and went to the blog to check that the link worked. To my amazement I spent over an hour reading. I’m not done, I’m going back. The information was amazing.

I wish our students would get into reading and commenting on blogs. I think this would be an excellent way to get them to read and write. They might like it and not even realize that they are learning.

• Tech Lady, the idea of blogs for the students is excellent. They could pick out the subjects or topics they are interested in. I think it would be a great extension of the Virtual Library!

3. Well thought out post. If you have some ideas for PBL in cross curr. areas, design the framework for it. then approach some of the teachers. you will find the ones who are interested!